This is a beautiful and easy Easter egg craft! Eggs are wrapped in 100% silk fabric are boiled with water and vinegar to create a stunning and surprising egg effect. For this craft, use old ties and scarves that you won’t mind cutting up. This craft will only work if they’re 100% silk. If you don’t have any around the house, a quick trip to a thrift store should score you some significant ties or scarves for very little money. And the critical part is that the silk can be reused up to 3 times.
Please Note: Eggs used for this craft are not edible. Dyes used for the fabrics are most likely not food-safe. Try using blown-out eggs if you would like to preserve your designs and store them safely to enjoy for years to come.
Materials & Supplies:
- Raw Eggs or Blown Out Eggs (Try a mixture of white and brown)
- Silk Ties or Scarves (must be 100% silk!)
- White Fabric such as an old t-shirt or dish towel
- Pipe Cleaners, Twist Ties, or Rubber Bands
- White Vinegar
- Scissors &/or Seam Ripper
- Non Reactive Pot (stainless steel or enamel is best, not aluminum)
1. Cut ties &/or scarves into squares that will fit around your egg. If using links, begin by opening the back of the connection with scissors or a seam ripper. Remove the lining and tags and throw them away.
2. Wrap each egg with a piece of silk with the print side facing down toward the egg. Secure the top with a twist tie or rubber band.
3. Next, wrap the silk-wrapped egg in a piece of white Fabric and once again secure.
4. Put all of the wrapped eggs in a non-reactive pot. Fill the pot with cold water to cover the eggs completely.
5. Add 3 tablespoons of white vinegar to the egg’s water. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Remove the eggs with tongs (or a spoon if that’s handier) and set them on a tray to cool.
7. Once the eggs have cooled, unwrap the eggs and see how beautiful they are!!!
8. Display the eggs in your favorite bowl or dish! If you want to give them a little shine, try rubbing each egg with a bit of vegetable oil.